Sunday, August 1, 2010

100 Greatest Producers of All-Time

There are a lot more variables involved in making this list than there were with the album lists, so I'm still questioning my order (there are even more variables with emcees, so it's going to be even more complicated if I make that list). I could pick almost any two random producers from this list and make arguments why either one is better than the other. As a result, I wouldn't say there's a definitive G.O.A.T., but that doesn't mean I'm not going to pick one. Every producer in my top 11 has a solid argument for the top spot.
  • Prince Paul: Diversity
  • RZA: Most albums in my top 100
  • Madlib: Depth
  • J Dilla: Balance
  • DJ Premier: Consistency
  • El-P: Complexity
  • Marley Marl: Influence
  • Pete Rock: Remixes
  • The Bomb Squad: Innovation
  • Fat Jon: Instrumental albums
  • Dr. Dre: Impact
They all also have reasons why they don't deserve to be #1. I'm sure I forgot a few worthy producers, but I don't think I left out anyone who deserves a really high ranking. Also, this is a producer list, not a DJ list (which I may eventually do), so guys like Grandmaster Flash and DJ Jazzy Jeff who mistakenly get credit for songs they didn't produce aren't on the list. Eric B. may deserve to be on this list, but I don't really know how much involvement he had in the production of Eric B. & Rakim's albums, and the majority of the songs I do know he produced aren't that good, so I left him off. I know a lot of complaints are going to be based primarily on styles rather than skill and technique, so I'm going to preemptively crack an egg of knowledge to dispute those complaints: You might love fast food and hate Japanese cuisine, but a kid on the frialator at Burger King isn't a better cook than a Benihana chef. If you don't like a particular production style, you don't have to have any producers who use that style on your own list, but that doesn't mean they all suck. Let the great experiment begin!
  1. Prince Paul
  2. RZA
  3. Madlib
  4. J Dilla
  5. DJ Premier
  6. El-P
  7. Marley Marl
  8. Pete Rock
  9. The Bomb Squad
  10. Fat Jon the Ample Soul Physician
  11. Dr. Dre
  12. Kurtis Mantronik
  13. Jneiro Jarel
  14. Organized Noize
  15. Boots Riley
  16. Erick Sermon
  17. Factor
  18. The Beatnuts
  19. Blockhead
  20. Jel
  21. J-Zone
  22. RJD2
  23. Ski
  24. Dälek
  25. Da Beatminerz
  26. Diamond D
  27. Showbiz
  28. Edan
  29. Hitman Howie Tee
  30. Large Professor
  31. MF Doom
  32. 4th Disciple
  33. Q-Tip
  34. Willie Evans Jr.
  35. Clutchy Hopkins
  36. Samon Kawamura
  37. Kno
  38. Nujabes
  39. Ant
  40. Kanye West
  41. High Priest
  42. Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind
  43. Shock G
  44. Count Bass D
  45. K-Def
  46. Mike Ladd
  47. Exile
  48. Alchemist
  49. Lord Finesse
  50. DJ Shadow
  51. The Egyptian Lover
  52. Waajeed
  53. No I.D.
  54. Buckwild
  55. Evidence
  56. KRS-One
  57. Maker
  58. J. Rawls
  59. Easy Mo Bee
  60. Rick Rubin
  61. DJ Hi-Tek
  62. Blue Sky Black Death
  63. Necro
  64. Insight
  65. DJ Muggs
  66. Thavius Beck
  67. Mannie Fresh
  68. Chief Xcel
  69. The Molemen
  70. Rob Swift
  71. King Britt
  72. Beats By the Pound
  73. Capital D
  74. Danny!
  75. Reanimator
  76. Mumbles
  77. will.i.am
  78. Oh No
  79. Blueprint
  80. Black Milk
  81. Freddie Joachim
  82. Danger Mouse
  83. Sir Jinx
  84. Oddisee
  85. 9th Wonder
  86. Kutmasta Kurt
  87. Cut Chemist
  88. Lushlife
  89. Rashid Hadee
  90. Nicolay
  91. Beans
  92. DJ Krush
  93. Flying Lotus
  94. Dan the Automator
  95. DJ Magic Mike
  96. Havoc
  97. Ali Shaheed Muhammad
  98. DJ Mark the 45 King
  99. The Nonce
  100. Hurby Luv Bug