
Aside from maybe I Heard It Today by Mr. Lif, Fluorescent Black has been my most anticipated album of 2009. Individually, they've released a lot of great material since they broke up, but they never quite matched what they released as a group. They came back with no rust, no loss in chemistry, and they still sound like they're several decades ahead in the evolution of hip hop. With less than three months left in 2009, Fluorescent Black is a serious contender for album of the year.
Honorable Mentions:
Brother Ali - Us
It's too early to call it right now, but this might be my favorite Brother Ali album. I'm digging the positive vibe of his lyrics, and Ant's production is the best I've heard from him in a few years.
Mayer Hawthorne - A Strange Arrangement
The day before this album leaked on the internet, I made comment on Yahoo! Answers that Mayer Hawthorne sucks. After hearing A Strange Arrangement, I retract my statement.