- Four Tet - There is Love in You
- Free the Robots - Ctrl Alt Delete
- Paul White - Paul White & The Purple Brain
- Rob Swift - The Architect
- Oddisee - Traveling Man
- RJD2 - Inversions of the Colossus
- Damu the Fudgemunk - How It Should Sound, Volume 1 & 2
- Clutchy Hopkins - The Story Teller
- Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
- Matterhorn - Deathstare
- RJD2 - The Colossus
- Tobacco - Maniac Meat
- Nomak - Dynamic Meditation
- Pretty Lights - Making Up a Changing Mind
- Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs
Earlier this year, I said I wasn’t ready to say whether this is better than Rounds or not. It’s better.
This guy might be the most talented electronic musician right now.
I think it was better that I didn’t know anything about ST Mikael when I listened to this album. It’s a similar concept to Dela’s Robert Glasper Beat Tape. While I listened to Dela’s album, I was already very familiar with Robert Glasper, so I was thinking “This is pretty good but it’s not as good as Robert Glasper.” With Paul White’s album, I was thinking “This is dope. I have to check out ST Mikael’s work.” It might be circumstantial that Paul White is this high on the list and Dela didn’t make the list at all.
Overall, this is a great album, but the execution wasn’t as ambitious as the concept.
He played it a little safe, but he managed to capture each city.
This is better than The Colossus, but I don’t understand why he provided instrumentals to tracks from The Colossus and then made two original track with vocals. He need to be more stylistically consistent.
It’s basically just a beat tape of old unused beats, but the beats are good and he kind of gave it some continuity to make it feel more like an album.
It sounds like a weaker version of Music is My Medicine. Maybe his alter-ego, Lord Kenjamin was the real star of Music is My Medicine.
Contrary to critical reception, I think 1983 and Los Angeles were better albums.
DJ Egadz is fairly consistent, so I guess he decided to mix it up be changing his name.
I guess you have to give RJ some credit for making the music he wants to make and not being pressured by the fans and critics.
I’d like Tobacco more if I didn’t hate all of his album covers.
One-dimensionality is starting to catch up with Nomak.
It would help if they marketed themselves to the hip hop fanbase just a little bit.
His music is very emotionally driven, but there’s rarely any soul in it.