Wednesday, July 7, 2010

2010 Mid-Year Mechies: Most Anticipated Albums for the Second Half of 2010

  1. Qwel & Maker – Owl

  2. Usually you don’t have to wait until the second half of the year for a new Qwel album. Qwel and Maker took the triple crown with album of the year, emcee of the year, and producer of the year in the 2009 Mechy Awards. Hopefully they’ll do it again this year.

  3. Gza - Liquid Swords 2: The Return of the Shadowboxer

  4. He's taking it a step further than Raekwon. Not only is he trying to make everyone forget about everything he's released since his classic (I'm not sure why...his other albums are dope) by releasing a sequel, but he's also trying to make people forget he already released a sequel (Legend of the Liquid Sword).

  5. Michael Franti & Spearhead – The Sound of Sunshine

  6. Eventually this reggae phase is going to get old, but it should hold up at least for one more album.

  7. Rakaa – Crown of Thorns

  8. Delilah is the best song of the year so far and the rest of the tracklist has potential to be on of the best albums of the year.

  9. Cymarshall Law & The Beatnikz – Freedom Express Line

  10. Freedom II was a little disappointing, but it was still good. I’m expecting this to return to the standard of quality he set in 2007-08.

  11. Hell Razah – Heaven Razah

  12. I don’t know what’s going on with this album. I haven’t heard any updates on his health so I’m assuming he’s alright but still recovering. It seems like every time I’ve looked at upcoming releases this year, this album is listed as coming out next week, but it never gets released.

  13. Pete Rock & Smif-N-Wessun – Monumental

  14. This sounds interesting, but the collaboration is coming 15 years too late. I find myself saying that about 5 times a year lately.

  15. DJ Muggs vs. Ill Bill – Kill Devil Hills

  16. The Muggs vs. albums are always good. Ill Bill is a good addition to the series.

  17. Black Milk – Album of the Year

  18. I like Black Milk, but his albums are never among my most anticipated albums. I’m pretty excited about this one after his work on the Georgia Anne Muldrow and Dudley Perkins album.

  19. Rza - The Cure

  20. This won't be released this year. I remember there was a little advertisement sticker for Rza’s next album, The Cure on the CD case for Bobby Digital in Stereo. Dr. Dre’s jealous. Detox has nothing on The Cure.

  21. Pharoahe Monch – W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)

  22. I don’t think he’s described this album as “sexy” so already it has the edge on Desire.

  23. ¡MAYDAY! – Stuck on an Island

  24. Matching their self-titled album might not seem possible anymore, but they still have a lot of potential.

  25. Camu Tao – King Of Hearts

  26. It’s good that this album wasn’t rushed after his death, but this has been delayed way too long now. How much work could they possibly have to put into a posthumous album?

  27. Hezekiah – Conscious Porn

  28. Hezekiah’s dope, but I’m anticipating this album more because of the awesome title.

  29. Kanye West – Good Ass Job

  30. If he’s actually going to work with the artists he’s said he’s working with, this could be a great album. I’m not entirely convinced he’s going to follow through.

  31. KRS-One & True Master – Meta-Historical

  32. At least True Master gives KRS-One a chance at putting out a decent album. Meta-Historical definitely sounds like something KRS-One would come up with.

  33. Rick Ross – Teflon Don

  34. Hopefully this will be even better than Deeper than Rap and I’ll get even more WTFs when I say it’s good. That’s a long shot though.

  35. The Foreign Exchange – Authenticity

  36. I’m sure Okayplayer already has a review template ready for this album with a score of 90 or higher.

  37. Moka Only – Airport Four (and the other 10 albums he’ll put out by the end of the year)

  38. The good thing about Moka Only is you know he’s going to hit at least once or twice a year. The bad thing is sifting through so much material that’s just ok to find those good albums.

  39. Killah Priest – The 3 Day Theory

  40. Killah Priest albums are usually killed by boring production. I haven’t seen a producers list but Copywrite, Jakki, iCON, Sabac, Ill Bill, Last Emperor and 2Mex on the features sounds good.

  41. Shawn Lee - Sing a Song

  42. You never know what style of music to expect from Shawn Lee, but you can expect it to be good.

  43. Madlib (as Yesterday’s New Quintet) – Madlib Medicine Show No. 7: High Jazz

  44. A YNQ album would normally be higher on the list, but it’s part of the Medicine Show, so I’m expecting the worst.

  45. Juvenile – Beast Mode

  46. I didn’t know about this until today. It came out today so it should have leaked already.

  47. Slum Village – Villa Manifesto

  48. Half-posthumous albums are difficult to put together. I'm not sure how good this will be.

  49. Method Man - The Crytal Method

  50. I don't expect Method Man to ever put out another dope solo album, but he could prove me wrong.

  51. Murs – whatever he manages to put out

  52. He promised 10 albums this year (not including Fornever). He hasn’t released any of them yet.

  53. Exile - Radio: AM/FM

  54. I think I’m the only person they didn’t care for Radio. Remixes by Clutchy Hopkins, Free the Robots and Samiyam, plus features from Blu, Grouch & Eligh and Evidence might help.

  55. El-P – Weareallgoingtoburninhellmeggamixx3

  56. I don't really care when El-P releases these things, but it's still El-P.

  57. Bun B – Trill O.G.

  58. His last album was good.

  59. Game – The R.E.D. Album

  60. Game gets less intriguing with each release, but I’ll still listen.

  61. Ice Cube – I am the West

  62. I don’t expect anything much better than Raw Footage, which wasn’t that good.

  63. Capone-N-Noreaga – The War Report 2: Report the War

  64. They’re also capitalizing on the “sequel to my most successful album” fad. That’s a lame subtitle though.

  65. Street Sweeper Social Club – The Ghetto Blaster EP

  66. Their debut was one of the biggest disappointments in recent years, but it’s still Boots Riley and Tom Morello.

  67. Q-Unique - Between Heaven & Hell

  68. I'd be more interested in a new Arsonists album...or a D-Stroy solo album.

  69. MF DOOM – Expektoration

  70. MF DOOM is a ballsy dude. After being caught numerous times sending impostors to perform his live shows, he has the nerve to release a live album. Between the annual compilation albums, the live albums, and giving the same beats to multiple rappers, MF DOOM puts out a lot of music without making anything new.