Monday, July 6, 2009

2009 Mid-Year Mechies: Best Instrumental Hip Hop Albums

It's been a great year for instrumental hip hop. There have probably been more good instrumental albums in 6 months than there has been in any other full year.


  1. Clutchy Hopkins Meets Lord Kenjamin - Music is My Medicine
  2. Nosaj Thing - Drift
  3. Odd Nosdam - T.I.M.E. Soundtrack
  4. Nomak - Muziq and Foto
  5. Thavius Beck - Urban/Subsonic
  6. Paul White - The Strange Dreams Of Paul White
  7. Shano - A Butterfly in Boston
  8. Hudson Mohawke - Polyfolk Dance EP
  9. Question & Freddie Joachim - Study Guide
  10. Diego Bernal - For Corners
  11. Shin-Ski - Planetarium
  12. Prefuse 73 - Everything She Touched Turned Ampexian
  13. Ras G - Brotha From Anotha Planet
  14. Dr. Who Dat? (Jneiro Jarel) - Beyond 2morrow
  15. Danny! - Dream, Extinguished

Honorable mention to Madlib's "Beat Konducta Vol. 5-6: A Tribute to…". I excluded it from this list since Vol. 5 and Vol. 6 were both released separately in 2008, but technically Vol. 5-6  is a 2009 release. It would have been #2 if I included it.