Monday, July 6, 2009

2009 Mid-Year Mechies: Best "Other" Albums

I didn't feel like I could put together a solid list for any other individual genre besides hip hop and jazz, plus a lot of stuff was hard to define, so I took the easy way out and lumped everything into an "other" category. I didn't do too much of my own searching for good music outside of hip hop and jazz so far this year. I relied heavily on AllMusic and Pitchfork telling what was worth checking out. Fortunately I still managed to hear a lot of great albums, particularly by female vocalists. Four of my top five albums have female vocalists. For the hip hop fans, I'd recommend the Bibio, Platenum Pied Pipers, Shawn Lee, The Dream, Squarepusher, Mochipet, Paul Dateh, and Georgia Anne Muldrow albums.


  1. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
  2. Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
  3. Little Boots - Hands
  4. Marissa Nadler - Little Hells
  5. Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted
  6. Alvin Jett & The Phat Noiz Blues Band - Honey Bowl
  7. Yusuf Islam - Roadsinger
  8. Brian Blade - Mama Rosa
  9. Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
  10. Platinum Pied Pipers - Abundance
  11. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
  12. Shawn Lee - Soul In The Hole
  13. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
  14. The Dream - Love Vs Money
  15. Regina Spektor - Far
  16. Maia Hirasawa - GBG vs. STHLM
  17. Squarepusher - Numbers Lucent
  18. Lightning Seeds - Four Winds
  19. Church Of Misery - Houses Of The Unholy
  20. Ben Harper and Relentless7 - White Lies for Dark Times
  21. Mochipet - Bunnies & Muffins
  22. Paul Dateh - Paul Dateh
  23. Buju Banton - Rasta Got Soul
  24. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillon
  25. Metric - Fantasies EP
  26. Neil Young - Fork in the Road
  27. IAMX - Kingdom Of Welcome Addiction
  28. Zu - Carboniferous
  29. Alestorm - Black Sails At Midnight
  30. Georgia Anne Muldrow Presents... Ms. One & The Gang