- Four Tet - There is Love in You
I don’t want to prematurely say it’s better than Rounds, but right now I’m considering the thought. Rounds is a 4.5 Mech album, so even if I conclude that Rounds is better, There is Love in You is still an excellent album. - Factor - 13 Stories
This reminds me of Black Panther’s The Darkest Night Ever (a 5 Mech classic). It’s not conceptually as good, but the production and the talent he enlisted to handle the rapping are just as good. - Jaga Jazzist - One-Armed Bandit
The worst thing about Jaga Jazzist is trying to decide which album is their best work. Add another one to the list. For such an experimental band, it’s incredible how consistent they are. - Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson
Phil Da Agony, Krondon and Mitchy Slick are dope, but they aren’t really the best fit for Madlib’s production style. Fortunately, Madlib knows how to adjust. - Shearwater - The Golden Archipelago
This is a very worthy follow-up to Rook, which was my favorite rock album of 2008. - OK Go - Of the Blue Colour of the Sky
If I had to sum up the persona OK Go has created for themselves in one word…faggy. I can also sum up why this album is great in one word…variety. - RJD2 - The Colossus
RJ really needs to forget about having singers on his tracks and focus on instrumentals for his solo albums. The production is excellent, but the vocals nearly ruin it on several occasions. - Emancipator - Safe in the Steep Cliffs
After Sadistik’s album, I’m still not sure if Emancipator can create a canvas for emcees to work with, which I think is preventing me from fully appreciating his work. The guy’s still pretty talented though. - Madlib - Medicine Show No. 1: Before the Verdict
Like Madvillainy 2, Madlib created a remix album that wasn’t as good as the original, but he managed to make it a completely different album, so it’s forgivable. If he follows through with his plans, and makes this Medicine Show series a monthly thing, it should be a great year for Madlib fans such as myself. - Shining - Blackjazz
2009’s Mechy Award winner was Ephel Duath’s black metal-jazz fusions album Through My Dog’s Eyes. I’m liking the fusion of those two genres. This one’s a little less experimental, but it still works, although I wasn’t fond of the 21st Century Schizoid Man cover.
Honorable Mention:
- Oktober - The Devil Smokes Dimebags
- Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road
- Oddisee - Odd Winter
- Intuition - Girl’s Like Me